Monday, March 15, 2010

Smoke in Mae Sai, Thailand

Life is very quiet here in Mae Sai, on the Myanmar (Burma) Border. The jungle is on fire so it is very smokey. That will change with the next heavy rain.

That is the sun setting in the smoke over the Temple on the Mountain.

I will never forget our spring of 2007 plane trip from Bangkok to Chiang Rai here in Northern Thailand. We had been in the air about an hour and were on the landing decent. I started to smell smoke.

Now, I don't know about other people but when I smell smoke on an airplane something must be wrong. I looked around and everyone else seemed to be calm. I did push the button for the flight attendant. When the attendant came to my seat I told her I smell smoke.

She just smiled and said everything was okay. The smoke was coming from the jungle as it was on fire. She continued to say that this happens every year.

Some years it comes right up to the road so you can see the flames. So far no flames can be seen from this little town of Mae Sai.

This is a picture we took last year about this time on the road to Ban AYO.

We are going up into the mountains later in the week and we'll let you know how the fires are in that area.

There should be 400-500 kids at this Camp Out that we will be attending. We will take lots of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment