Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Six Days in Bangkok - Spring 2015

Please forgive my spelling and punctuation, I'm a plumber and not an English major. Just read and have fun.
Whenever we fly into Bangkok, I think of it as flying into the Bronz,  just safer.

We always take pictures of the stuff inside our bags and then the bags as we check them in. The reason is most foreign airlines only will pay $30 to $100 USD a bag, including the contents.  


We carry travel insurance that will pay up to $1,000 USD each person but they like to see what is inside the bags. Knock on wood, we have never lost a bag in 18 trips back and forth across the Pacific Ocean. 

Our trip from California was very uneventful, which is a good thing. We landed at 1:30 AM as our plane was a little late.  Out plane from los Angeles was an hour late taking off. 

Originally we only had 55 minutes to change plane in Taipei. The crew made up 15 minutes and the plane that we were connecting with waited as half the booking for the connecting plane was on the plane from LAX. 


The new B777-300ER that China Airlines is using has a "Family Couch" section in economy class. It is three seat on the side that the leg rests come all the way up flat so it makes the three seats into what I would call a playpen as opposed to a couch. The lady and child next to us just snuggled up and slept for most of the trip. The airline even gave them bedding. 
 
We breezed through immigrations, got our bags which were prioritized and arrived at the White Orchard Guest House around 3:30 AM.  Now, the girl on the desk acted like she did not know anything about our room.  She kept asking who we reserved it from.   I played the phone converstion I had saved on my cellular phone to her and she still did not get it.  Finally, I pointed to the white board with reservations and there it was, "Terry and Daeng room #108 03-03-15". 

We took our bags to our room, unpacked some of the things we had packed on hangers and eye drops into refrigerator. 



We were wide awake as both our us slept on the 14 hour leg from California so we hopped on motorbike taxis and went to FoodLand for tourist breakfasts. 

Yep, you guessed it, comfort food of eggs, bacon, sausage, juice, toast and coffee. 

We walked back to our room, showered and went to bed.


We slept all day. 


I got up and took a motorbike taxi up Shuhamvit Road to a meeting of English speaking friends.



Before I left Kratom, the day manager, fixed us up with an extra pillow, water and extra towels. We're in heaven. 


Bangkok is a great place to get over jet-lag as it is a 24 hour town. 

An American Breakfast at FoodLand is 59 THB, about $1.83 USD with juice and coffee. The food is served on real porcelain plates, too.  

"Took Lae Dee" translates as "Cheap and Good". 



This area of Bangkok is know as the "Fun Zone". This sign says it: "The Worlds Largest Adult Playground!"

We like this area as it is easy to get around by taxi, motorbike, foot and skytrain along with the diversity. You can also get any kind of food that you would like. 


Today, I wanted to go to a meeting at the church on the end of Soi 10 off Shuhamvit Road.  I talked with the motorbike taxi driver and he said he would take me through the Tobacco Monopoly. 


It was a nice ride but the smell of the chemicals and the tobacco drying made me very glad I had quit smoking.  


This area is in the middle of Bangkok, just off of Shuhamvit Road. To see the ride just CLICK HERE

Now, here is the scary ride going the other way on Shuhamvit Road: CLICK HERE!


We have kind of lost track of the days and nights. We are blaming it on Jet-Lag.  We will be ready to make the trip north to our home in Mae Sai on Monday. 

The blue sign in the background of the picture is the Myanmar (Burma) border. 


We did get to have lunch and spend some time with our friends Richard and June. 

Daeng loves to go shopping.  The nice part is she only buys what she really likes and will not spend a lot of money doing that.  

Here is a picture of her in front of a big shop named the "Pink Pvssy".  I told her she would look great in that silver dress but without hesitation she said: "NO!"

We also looked at some shoes but Daeng like "Flip-flops" the best.  She wears them everywhere.  

The only time we had a problem with her wearing flip-flops was a few years back. She was not allowed into the big Bangkok Jewelry and Gem Show. You know what our attitude was; yep, screw them. 

On our walk to breakfast this morning we could see the men working on the powerlines. 

I call this picture: "Shocking - The Thai Way". Look close and you can see several men standing on the poles and wires. 

It's around 5:00 AM Sunday morning. I woke up listening to a group of ladyboys arguing under our hotel window. 

With my limited understanding of Thai, I think they were arguing about who was the best looking.  I opened the window, leaned out and waived at them.  They waved back laughing, maybe because I was naked. 

I think this was one of the ladyboys that was arguing. By the way, the saying here in Bangkok is: "Best looking girls are boys."

I did some emails and decided I would have breakfast at the NaNa Hotel Buffet Breakfast.  This will probably be the last chance for a "farang", aka: western style, breakfast for a while.  


It is an all you can eat breakfast for 250 THB, about $7.70 USD.  If you stay there breakfast for two is included in the room. 

We won't stay there as three times, in the past, we had reserved standard rooms and then when we arrived we were told they did not have the standard rooms and only had deluxe rooms for more money.  We feel that is being dis-honest!  One or two times we can accept as mistakes but three times and we feel you are trying to screw us. 

Breakfast was okay with ALL THE BACON YOU CAN EAT!. I got my money's worth but I probably will not eat there again as everything else, besides the bacon, was just so-so.  

While we were talking a walk and clowning around, Daeng made a conference call. 

I think we are ready to make the trip north.  

Although we had fun, six days in Bangkok was enough for us. 

We live 891 kilometers north of Bangkok. That is 554 miles north. 

It's a travel day. It did not go real smooth. Here is the story: We were picked up at our room by one of Jon's drivers. Jon has been providing us with ground transportation for many years and always doing a great job at fair prices. He dropped us off at the Thai economy check in gate.

When we got to the Thai Airline, All Flights check in counter we were told we had to go back 4 isles for our plane check it. That was a long walk.

When we put our bags on the check in scale the lady told us we were over the 20 kilograms each and would have to pay 560 THB. I explained to her that in the past we were allowed 23 kilograms as we were coming from California. She said yes, if we came on Thai Airlines. I said okay and gave her a Chase Sapphire credit card. She in turn told Daeng to take it to the end of the row of check in booths. 

My right knee was hurting so I asked for a wheelchair while that was happening. A nice guy brought a wheelchair and I sat down. 

Then a lady from Thai Airlines brought me a credit card slip to sign. It had the 560 THB charge on it along with a US dollar amount. This is a trick that Thai banks use to get about 3% more when using a US credit card. I told her I wanted to pay in Thai Baht. She said that was so I scratched out the US dollar amount and signed it. I'm sure we will have to fight that one for the principal.
Then onward through security. Daeng's bag had be searched as she had a small container of dietary fiber in her bag. 

After that when we got off the elevator to the ramps Daeng realized she had lost her ticket. She ran back to security and found it BUT she did not have her identification so she could not come back. Luckily the fellow pushing me in the wheelchair realized that and went back and got her through.


The nice part is we were right on time to board the plane.

We are now home in Mae Sai and happy although a little annoyed.

It was nice to sleep in our own bed. 

By the way, the next morning I logged in to my Chase Sapphire card and see the $18.18 charge. I called the bank and a live person answered the telephone Chase. that is one of the benefits of this card. 

I explained the circumstances and she said she would credit the card the difference of 95 cents. 

Thank you Chase Bank. Sometimes it's not the money, it's the principal. 

The really nice part is I feel better. HUGS

No comments:

Post a Comment