Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday & Cock Fights


Well, it's Sunday and we skipped church to see the cock fights. Daeng or I have never seen what cock fighting is about so we wanted to see what was the big deal.

We need to be a little careful writing about this with the pictures as we're not sure if cock fighting is even legal in Thailand.

We were told where a big fight was happening today. We hopped on a motorbike and headed to the area along the Myanmar (Burma) border that the fight was to happen.

We stopped a few times to ask directions. When I say "we" it was actually Daeng that stopped. You know men never stop to ask directions until we're out of gas.

Everyone that we asked knew exactly where the big cock fight was and just pointed us up the road.

Then we got to this area were a lot of motorbikes were parked. A man showed Daeng where to park in the shade and charged 10 TB to park.

He pointed up the way and to the left so we walked up the little path. There was a lot of noise with people screaming.

When we rounded the corner there was a covered area with maybe fifty roosters, each one under what looked like an upside down basket.

There was also this concrete arena type structure that was in a circle with four tiers of seating.

It was covered with a metal roof that had water spraying on the roof to keep it cool. In the picture you can see the water running off the roof.

We walked into the arena and it was full of men watching two chickens battling each other. (Daeng said there was one lady besides herself.)

I tried to get some video but could tell that the folks around me were not happy with my camera being out. The only reason I got away with getting some pictures was everyone was interested in the fight.

I did load the videos I was able to get onto YouTube.com. I had to do it in two (2) parts.

To watch them just click on the parts you want. PART I or PART II

Part II shows the winner but we don't know which one won! The guys with the white towels have something to do with the cocks, maybe the owners.

Myself, I did not feel that I wanted to be part of this so we just slid out the entrance and moved along up the road. I now can understand why cock fighting is illegal in most countries.

On the way out Deang showed me a plant that recoils when you touch it. I was able to get video of that plant. CLICK HERE!

Tomorrow we are going to go up into the mountain and part way to Ban AYO. We have been having trouble getting a hold of Chom-nom, the man that is building the shelter for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment