Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Another Morning in Mae Sai 10-17-2012

Woke up early this morning, around 4:00 AM, and did some telephone calls to the USA.  We are 14 hours ahead of California time so it was 2:00 PM in Los Angeles.

Daeng got up about an hour later and we went to the Ban Pa Meat market for the usual coffee, fried chicken, sticky rice, Pa Thong Ko, tea and soy milk. 

There were a lot of motorbikes in the market this morning.

We talked about being bored and decided to go for a little ride along the border.  We rode to the border bridge, turned left and rode along the river as far as we could on the road, about 4 Km.

We got off the motorbike and told the solder that was standing there that we were going to walk up the path and take a few pictures. 

I had been this far before as this is were the "Charcoal Gang" brings the charcoal across the river.  To read that story just CLICK HERE.

Now, I'm not sure if were are still in Thailand or Myanmar (Burma) as this path is well traveled by mountain folks. 

There is even a spring where nice clean water comes out of the side of the mountain.

We took a few pictures and were starting to walk back when a man and two solders started yelling at us.   Daeng said we had to go back right away.

The man was saying that I, a farang (westerner), could not go here as the Burmese Army did not like farangs and maybe would shoot me.

I thought that was very nice of him until he twice added: "If I got shot that would cause me to lose my job."  I realized that he did not care about me but did not want to lose his job.

He told us not to come back there again.  I smiled at him and in Thai I said: "See you tomorrow!"  He said: "No, don't come back again!"  With a big smile I told him again I would see him tomorrow.  He laughed and told us to get out of here.

We laughed about it as we stopped and had Thai coffee along the road.

On the way back home we stopped at a stone cutters and watch the cutter working on a big carving.  Daeng talked with the man a little.  He said they were very busy with lots of orders. 

We got back home and Daeng took out the Hula Hoop and did a little exercise before lunch. 

It was a fun morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment