Friday, March 22, 2013

Black House - Family Outing

We decided it would be fun to do a little family outing.  With Booreang, Daeng's son, we discussed a little trip to Chaing Rai, about 60 km south of us, to see the "Black House" aka "Black Temple" and the more famous "White Temple".

In the past, we had both visited the "White Temple" but felt is was worth seeing, again.  Daeng and I visited the Temple on day two of our month long trip of Northern Thailand in 2009.  For that story just CLICK HERE.

Last year, Daeng was privileged to meet the builder of this Temple.  CLICK HERE for that story.

Boonreang ask us if we could drop him off at his friend in Chiang Rai.  After talking about that, we agreed after visiting the two destinations together, we would drop him off at his friends in the afternoon.

The next day, we left the house about 9:00 AM and made the trip to the Black House in about 40 minutes.  It was pretty easy to find as I had looked at the map before we left home. 

It is more than a Black House as there are about forty (40) building here.  It is not a temple, as many folks call it, but is an Art Museum.  You can read all about the man that built this interesting place at http://www.thawan-duchanee.com/ .

Also, there is a nice description of the Black House, Baan Daam in Thai, by CLICKING HERE and going to the Temple and Church section.



After we parked we walked across the road to the biggest building.  It is huge and all built out of wood.  I kidded with Daeng that there must be AA Meetings here as the triangle is the service emblem for Alcoholics Anonymous.

We also laughed about the "out house" which was beautifully done and functional.

We really liked the "bath tub" which would fit in our master bath in Mae Sai.

I had to work at getting Boonreang and Daeng together to take a nice picture of them.  Just as a note: Thai folks don't hug or touch each other very much.

I was able to get this picture of those two.

It was also about this time that Boonreang said he had seen enough and would we drop him off at his friend's.   We have been here for maybe an hour.

Daeng sent him to get a drink and we talked.  Daeng kept defending him but I stated the whole purpose of this outing was to be together.  Dropping him off at his friend's was not being together.

Daeng and I walked through some of the other parts of the museum and took a picture of this huge pan.  We don't know if it is meant to be a Big Wok or a Gold Pan.  In any case, it was big.

Well, for Daeng's and my relationship, I conceded and said we would drop him off at his friend's house.  We met Boonreang at the car and left the Black House heading toward Chiang Rai.  When we got to the outskirts of Chiang Rai I was told to pull over and drop Boonreang off there at a street corner.

I objected as, for his safety, I wanted to know where he was going and meet his friend.  Daeng told me I was being over protective and he was okay. 

Well, so much for a family outing.  I felt he just manipulated us to get a free ride to see his friend and did not want to be with us.  I got my teenie-wenie feeling hurt.   I hope my feelings that something is just not right, is wrong.  More will be revealed.

I told Daeng that I was upset at this set of events and used the same words that she had used for her son not wanting to go to the "White Temple" with us.  "No, I won't want to go as I have seen the White Temple before."  I also explained again that this was to have been a Family Outing.

We did take a drive and stopped to see some furniture for sale that I spotted beside the road.  I liked the chairs and love seat but Daeng thought that 18,000 THB (a little over $600 USD) was to much money.  I'm sure she was correct about that.

After our drive, we decided we would rather sleep in our own bed than a hotel bed.  On the way home we stopped at the Ban Pa Mueat market and bought a kilogram of steamed pork.  We went back to our home and eat it with the rest of the family, Toon, Hloug and Kit.  That is Daeng's brother, sister-in-law and nephew.

Tomorrow we have to be the plumbers as we have a water leak from one of the third floor restrooms.


No comments:

Post a Comment