Friday, May 1, 2015

Wow, a Fun Filled April of 2015


Please forgive my spelling and punctuation, I'm a plumber and not an English major. Just read and have fun.
April 6th, It's hasn't rained in over a week so the smoke is taking over the sky again. That is the sun over the rice fields.


Today is a holiday so the Ban Pa Mueat market kids are happy.



They still have that look of bewilderment when they see me. 

Although it's Monday, the spirit of Easter is still in the air at the morning market. 

I was going to put the second coat of paint on the wall and fence repair but Daeng looked at it and said it wasn't necessary.

That made my day. 

This is what it looked like after we repaired the pipe in the masonry wall. 

We stopped at the many hands used stuff from Japan store. They got a new shipment from Japan.

I thought this bamboo makeup table would fit perfect where the wood table sits by the bathroom door in our master bedroom.

Daeng did not want to buy it as she thought it was to wiggly.

She usually is correct. 

April 7th, We are getting ready to drive south to the hospital for more shots in my knees and an MRI of my back. It should be a fun day.

 We made it to hospital on time but were told the drugs for the injections would not be here until 3:00 PM.

I spoke to one of the administrators that spoke English. She apologized but said there was nothing could be done to change it.

She spoke to the doctor and set the injections up for 3:30 PM and moved my MRI appointment up to 10:00 AM.

The whole thing did drive up my blood pressure but as Daeng always says: "No choice."

They gave us a ride to the MRI building. It is a new building to house the Siemens Avanto 1.5 Tesla MRI machine.

If you would like to see what the machine looks like just CLICK HERE

At the MRI Center I had coffee, Daeng had noodles and I changed for the MRI.

It has been 5 years since my last MRI. This new machine is a lot quieter but still very small. I made it through the 30 some minutes.

We're going to go shopping, have lunch and come back at 3:30 PM.

The only thing negative I can say is the community hand towel in the restroom. Come on folks, this is a hospital. That is scary! 

We stopped to have a little lunch and then visited the furniture store to order another cabinet to replace the one that separated. We ordered it and it should be delivered the end of the month.

We have a place for the one that has water damaged. Oh, the cost was 1,690 THB (about $52.50 USD).

We will still install marble tops on both stands. 

We got back to the hospital at 3:05 PM and they had the drugs. We paid the bill. That right folks, payment in advance. The MRI was 9,000 THB (about $279 USD) and the double shots in both knees was 11,580 THB (about $ 360 USD).

By the way, that is is less than my co-pay in the US.

Doctor Phol did the double shots in both knees and told me he can see the problem in my back. He also said an Epidural Steroid would help with the lower leg pain and the numbness of the right calf but probable not help with the back pain.

Daeng could not watch the shots so she couldn't take any pictures.

We set up another appointment for the remaining double shot in my left knee. If I am still in leg pain at that time he will do an Epidural Steroid shot in my back also.

Daeng and I laughed as his charge for everything today was 500 THB (about $15.50 USD). THAT IS CORRECT, $15.50 US.

We love Thailand.

We stopped for fuel and eat dinner on the way home. 

By the way, we paid $2.88 USD per US gallon for diesel fuel on the way home. 

We are extremely pleased with ourselves for buying this Toyota pickup with a 2.5 L diesel engine. We are getting around 26-28 miles per US gallon, also. 

April 8th, It is 3:40 AM. The thunder woke me and it is raining very hard. The air will be clear by the time the sun comes up. I call it "air scrubbing" as the rain drops collect the dirt and smoke from the air and drop it to the ground. It is a wonderful thing.


Picture by Jeff Gammons 

This morning I went shopping for wheels for Tun's laundry bars that he hangs clothes to dry and some rubber bumpers. I had no success in finding them.

I did go by the beauty shop that I like and got a manicure and pedicure. It is hard to get a manicure in this part of the world except in the tourist areas.

See does a great job. 

April 9th, Didn't do much yesterday but last night we had a big hail storm. With the size of the hail, larger than golf balls, we are lucky not to have any damage to our cement fiber roof over the laundry and outside cooking area like in 2010.

Daeng picked up some to show everyone.

To read about the hail storm that damaged our roof in 2010 just CLICK HERE.

It is a little wet still at the Ban Pa Mueat Morning Market.

Lots of Mango for sale this morning. 

I don't post many pictures of the typical houses in our area. 

Here is one and he always has fresh vegetables.

I probably did more than I should have today. When we got back from the morning market, Daeng and I set up the garment bag system that we brought from America. Hlong and Tun love it. 

Now we need to find out where we can buy the plastic in Thailand.

After that we replaced both tires and inter tubes on my bicycle. The last time I did that was over 60 years ago. I did remember how to do it.

Then while Daeng was cleaning all the dark wood floors I cut out the top eight wood panels in the wood window doors of our master bathroom.

We are replacing them with glass. It was a job. I got them all cut out and bought the 8 pieces of glass at the glass shop. 

Glass is cheap here; these were about 60 cents US each for 1/4" plate glass.

April 11th, I was really beat yesterday as we did to much the day before. Sometimes my body reminds me I'm old.

I did not want to stay in bed all day so I got up and did a little blacksmith work on our front security gates.

We made new brackets and installed two roller bearings to replace the worn out ones. 

I do not have a torch here in Thailand so to heat the steel I had two choices, make a charcoal fire or use the gas stove. I, of course, took the easy way and used the gas stove. It worked okay, with Daeng's help. 

The charcoal would have made the metal hotter but the gas flame got it hot enough to hammer the steel into the shape I needed. 

April 12th, It looks and sounds like it will rain all day.

Daeng is cutting up a pineapple so we can have pineapple and peanut butter. 

Then we are going back to bed.  It may be a lucky day. 

Our friend, Steven Mairs, asked me if I ever tried peanut butter and onion sandwiches. 

My reply was "Yes, a long time ago in a land far, far away, while working as a swamper on a pipeline crew we would eat them for breakfast so you could not smell the booze on our breath from drinking all night." 

Today I wonder how we did it. Just the thought exhausts me now.

Daeng did finish the 8 patchwork cushions for our bamboo chairs. They feel and look great!

In our bedroom, they make a nice place to sit. 

April 13th, Daeng and I went to Makro early, about 7:00 AM, to buy bread and tooth paste. 

On the way home we picked up some snails for breakfast.

Are you ready? "They taste like chicken."

After that we noticed my back tire on my bike, was flat. I told Daeng I was lazy and if the local bike shop was open I would take it to them to repair.

I walked my bike down the street and the young fellow put a new tube in it for 100 THB, $3.00 USD.

I laughed as the tube I put in myself was 162 THB just for the tube.

It's home to paint the wood trim of our master bath windows.

I drank coffee and painted the window trip.  

I think it looks pretty good for a plumber. 

Also, I hung out with the kids in the laundry.

Did I mention Daeng did a little bamboo rafting, yesterday? 

April 14th, We slept until a bit after 6:30 AM and went to the Mae Sai morning market.
Daeng said it would be really busy with Songkran and she was correct.

On the way back we filled up her motorbike with real, not gasohol, 95 octane gasoline at a price of $4.10 USD a US gallon. Nice part, it took $2.80 US to fill it. 

Well, the girls had a makeup party before going to the Big Water Fight.

I kidded them: "Why, it's a water fight." Daeng said: "We have to look beautiful so the boys will throw water at us."

It sounded like good logic to me. 

Well, it's a holiday and a electrical disconnect burnt up. 

The electricity is now off and everyone is complaining because there is no WiFi. Go figure.

Our friend, Wack the electrician, came and saved the day. THANK YOU! 

Okay, enough from me today. I put the second coat of paint on the master bath woodwork and had a ham and cheese sandwich with a glass of milk.

It's a shower for me and early bedtime.

I lost the raffle as Daeng's Mother came home today. She has been gone almost a month. I had her return as Thursday. I was close but no cigar. 

We have back in the game another player of the multigenerational living.

Four generations in this household. The 2nd and the 4th are the troublemakers in the game as they are headstrong and what it their way at other two generations expense. 

Score cards to follow. 

April 15th, Rode my bicycle by the Ban Pa Mueat Morning Market. It is pretty quiet for this holiday of Songkran.

Today, most Buddhists visit the Temple and visit old folks with gifts. I'm staying at home waiting. 

We are constantly battling the black mold here in this humid climate. We had some black mold on our roof which has been on my "To Do" list for over a year.

So this morning, after everyone in the household got mad at me because I told Nuy she should wash her hands before she cooks, Daeng and I scrubbed the mold with bleach, rinsed and let dry.

Then we put two coats of roof paint on the area. It was very hard and tricky to do as you can not walk directly on this fiber cement roofing.

Anyway, it now looks great and is scratched from the "To Do" list. 

April 16th, The official days of Songkran are over but the death count still climbs from travel accidents. It is sad.

And the folks in the family still think I'm an egomaniac as I demand they wear helmets when the ride on or drive motorbikes. 

If you would like to read about the first six of the seven days with the most accidents just CLICK HERE

The sun is coming up and you can still see a sliver of the moon. It's going to be a great day!  

With the accident rate during Songkran, let me put it into more meaningful numbers. Thailand is only about 20% larger than California; Thailand is 513,120 square kilometers or 198,115 square miles. That’s 1.2 times larger than California (423,970 square kilometers).

The population of Thailand is not quite double California with 38.8 million people in California and Thailand with 67.01 million.

Now, In 2012, during the worst accident holiday, Thanksgiving holiday weekend in the USA, 301 people were killed in car crashes across the country. THAT IS THE WHOLE COUNTRY, NOT JUST CALIFORNIA. Does that help with the meaning of the numbers?

We are at 306 for this holiday and it's not completely over!

There is more to Songkran than drinking, throwing water and people dying. 

It is the traditional Thai New Year and calls for visits to the temple, cleaning house and visiting/helping the elderly. 

The lady with the white hair is 105 years young. 



The water is symbolic and has something to do with washing away the old and starting again clean. 

I am also a little sad as I was notified my first wife, Betty Jane Fischer died on April 8th. She was a good lady and helped lots of folks along the way.

She left me on Valentine’s Day in 1964. I probably would have left me much sooner. Here is her Obituary: CLICK HERE.

April 17th, MRI is wonderful technology. Almost anyone can see the reason for my pain and numbness in my leg.

We are driving to Chiang Rai this morning to have another 50 mg of Sodium Hyaluronic injected in my left knee.

Then we will discuss doing an epidural in my back at L4 to try and stop the leg pain and leg numbness.

We checked in, had the 50 mg of joint juice injected in my left knee and at 10:00 I was in the operating room prepped for my spinal Epidural.

Dr. Phol talked with me while he was injection the medication and the only pain was just when he inserted the needle in the skin.

About 45 minutes in the recovery room and we were out of there. My butt was numb but everything worked okay.
We stopped at this big hardware and home store that we said we would not go there again. 

Yep, we lied to ourselves. We wanted to buy a glass cutter and some razor knife replacement blades. They had the blades at three times the normal price but no glass cutter. We will not go there again unless it is something we can’t get anyplace else. 

The last time we were they we asked why they were more expensive than the local store? The lady, with a straight face, said: "Because we are a big store." It was confusing to us, also.

We then stopped at the old paint store and bought enough oil based enamel, 2 gallons of semi-gloss, to spray two sets of security doors in the front of our place along with thinner, masking tape and plastic. We laughed as they also had a first class, diamond glass cutter.

We made it back to our home in time for Daeng to go with the kids to a concert at 4:00 PM. As for me, I am going to follow instructions and go to bed until tomorrow.


She and the gang had a good time. 

As I write this I think the Epidural worked as I have no leg pain and just a little back pain. 

April 18th, Daeng had a busy day. She dressed in black this morning and went to help out at an old friend’s funeral. 


They feed a lot of people, had the Monks do blessing and then took her to the crematorium.


She saw a lot of friends but she was tired when she got home. 


My day went well. I tried using the new diamond glass cutter to cut off about a ¼” from two pieces of glass that I had cut from before. I broke both pieces so I went to the glass shop.

I told the glass guy what I did and he said that even he has trouble cutting a ¼” off new glass and old glass is even harder and more brittle. He showed me how to cut off an 3/8” piece. Anyway, he cut the six panels I needed.

I was hungry so I stopped on the way back and eat. The owner’s husband came over and gave me a small bowl of meat. In the picture it is the bowl at about 11 o’clock. It was sweet pork and delicious. 

He told me it was made with the leaves of the little tree. He broke off a few leaves and had me try eating them. Surprise, they were good.

I ventured home and installed the six pieces of glass and only cut myself once. Yes, I do know better and should have been wearing gloves.



Then it was shower and Sa-la, one of the best massage ladies, came over and gave me a great massage. It was a nice day for me. 

April 19th, We just had a huge thunder and lightning storm with high winds and driving rain. Our power is out but I have 4G on my phone.

There are mangoes everywhere on the ground. We will be eating lots of mangos for the next week or two.

I got up early, about 4 AM and started installing the wood trim on the master bath windows about 7:00.

When Daeng got up we cleaned off the area over one section of the glass entry doors, caulked the wood panels and painted it a walnut color like we did in the front laundry area.

Daeng started cleaning the metal security doors and gates that we will spray paint with oil based semi-gloss enamel went we get back from our holiday to Chiang Mai next week.

My legs, knees and back are holding up well. The only pain I have now is my right hip.

Since the power is off, I took a cold shower. It reminds me how good we have things. 

April 20th, I was woken with a phone call from my four year old Great-granddaughter, Angelina. We had a nice conversation as she wanted to invite us to her 5th birthday party when we go back to California in June.

My cellular numbers 1-714-342-5222 now call forwards to us anyplace in the world. She did not understand that we are 14 hours ahead of California time. That messes with me sometimes, also.

She is a sweetie. Here is a picture of her at her 3rd birthday party.

Here is some of the damage that the storm yesterday did at DEPDC's Mae Sai location. Like the kids needed this.  

There are no reports of anyone being injured. From our blog, here is a story about DEPDC/GMS: CLICK HERE.

After talking with my Great-granddaughter and Lota, her Dad, I did some emails and then washed all the rags we have been using.

Last night I soaked them in bleach and this morning I washed and hung them on the roof for some sunshine. The sun was up at about 6:30.

Then I washed the window glass that we installed in the master bath window closures. When I started this project, and told folk what I was going to do, they laughed at me. 

By the way, here I get laughed at a lot.
I think they look good and the bathroom is a lot brighter.

Because we are going to Chiang Mai tomorrow I wanted to look beautiful so stopped at the barber.

This little boy did not want a haircut.

He was happy when it was over and waved good bye to me.

Well, went to drug store and bought some Celebrex 200 mg, over the counter, for $.83 US a capsule. Then it’s the hardware store for razor knife blades.

That stop was a story as the store owner tried to jip me. He sold me the only package of blades he had. It was an old package of 5 blades but only had 3 blades in the package. After we talked about it he sold them to me for 3/5 of the price on the package. It is always "buyer beware".

I am learning to barter without having the other person lose face. It is a little different still but I'm learning.

Then it’s the store for coffee filters and the bank. The Bangkok Bank, inside the store, was busy as you can see in the picture.

April 21st, It is 5:00 AM here in Mae Sai. I am having coffee and then Daeng and I will pack for our 4-7 day trip to Chiang Mai. Although it is a 4 hour drive over the mountains and through the jungle on a two lane road with crazy bus, truck and other drivers we enjoy visiting the second largest city in Thailand.


We will try to take some pictures along the way that are interesting to us and folks following our travels.

We look forward to having dinner at Duke's tomorrow night with Jay Slater Sr. and Brian Schroeder as we are treating Jay for a little celebration of 36 years without the use of mind altering substances. I'm not talking about sex here folks. Yes, that will alter your mind.

One day at a time is a big deal but 36 years is HUGE! We could not make it on the actual date so this is belated but our hearts are doing the congratulations. 

As Daeng was packing and getting ready to go I asked her how long would she be.  She gave me this gesture and mentioned something about kissing. 

We are packed up and ready to go. 



First stop is about 17 kilometers past the turn off of route #1.  It is Charin Garden Resort and Bakery. 

We made it through Chiang Rai and avoided the go to work traffic.

We made it to the first stop at Charin Garden Resort and Bakery. We had breakfast and goodies. 

Of course we ate the blueberry cheese pie and custard pumpkin first. Life is to short. 

We only made it about 45 minutes down the road and had to stop. I think it's the coffee.

Then we stopped for a picture at the hot springs.



Daeng said we needed to stop at a temple in the mountain as there is a Buddha statue that looks like me.

We also did fortune sticks and she drew 9 and I drew 7.

Seven is also my favorite and lucky number.  

With fortune sticks you shake the stick holder until one falls out.  

Each stick has a number on it. That number is the number of a paper which tells your fortune.


It is a fun thing. 

Our Fortunes were good with not much negativity. 

I liked Daeng's fortune the best. 

You can click on the pictures and they become larger. That way you can read your fortunes, also.

Do you think this Buddha looks like me? 

 We made it and checked in at the Mawin Hotel by the single lane bridge over the river.

It's time for chicken soup for lunch.

Here is one of the best chicken soup places in Thailand.

We did a little shopping at Rimping Supermarket. They cater to farangs, non-Thais. We were able to buy things like Smucker's Cherry Preserves.

They are expensive but...........

Did I mention it is 102 degrees?

We are at Duke's having a hamburger and then it's a shower and bedtime.

April 22nd, This happens in the front room of our place in Mae Sai.

Check out Bum on the right.

Up early, answered some emails, went to 7-11 to buy water for coffee and some pineapple pies.

I’m headed to a meeting at 9:30, to meet a friend who is going to help me buy stone tops for our desk and night stands.

It is expected to be another hot day, 98 degrees with 60% chance of rain.

Busy day, after the 9:30 AM meeting Steven Mairs took me marble and granite shopping.

We visited four stone shops and got three prices for the pieces to top my desk and both nightstands in our master bedroom. They ranged from 13,992 THB to 6,300 THB.

Now, the funny part is the black granite with rounded edges and silicone sealed was the cheapest.

We ordered it and will pick up after 1:00 PM on Sunday.

Thank you Steven, you were a great help.

It was great to do a meeting, dinner and cake to belatedly celebrate 36 years with our friend Jay.  

Everyday alive is a big deal but when you keep adding them together it is a really Big Deal.

Here is the picture I liked best. It's the eyes. 

April 24th, Fun day, I met our Australian friend, Peter, and we had a late breakfast together.

I also looked at his hotel. It is a nice clean, old hotel and close to the center of town. Room rate for air conditioned Room is 500 THB, about $16 USD, a night.

Than Daeng and I went shopping at a used restaurant and stuff place. We bought some casters that I had been looking for and a broken microphone stand to use in the laundry for covering clothes on hangers.

We wanted to buy a kitchen cabinet. I told Daeng we would use the hang out and be quiet method of bartering. 

So, they asked 4,000 THB. We offered 3,000 THB. They counter offered 3,500. Then we just sat there without saying anything and every time the lady came by she would reducer her counter-offer by a hundred Baht. We left at 3,200 THB.

After that we met Peter and went to check on his sister-in-law, to be sure she was okay with her new boyfriend.

She was doing well. The funny thing, it's a small world, I already knew her boyfriend Steve. 

We walked to lunch and checked out some new motorbikes. 

I loved this little boy on his motorbike.

Afterward, Peter left for home. 

Daeng and I went shopping and both had a massage.

My massage was okay but no where near as good as "San-La" in Mae Sai, "Thai" and "Two" in Pattaya or "Korn" in Bangkok. 

Then we also visited the oldest temple in Chiang Mai. 

It is next to the flower market. 

April 25th, I went to a meeting with English speaking friends and we just hung out for the day.  Daeng went shopping and I took a nap.  


While I was walking along the Ping River I watched folks throw flowers over the side of the boat and I think ashes. I didn't get my phone out fast enough to get a good picture but it reminded me that I still have to take care of Mom's Ashes Request.


I think I have been putting it off because I will probably cry. 

April 26th, We picked up the three pieces of granite and they are beautiful. They ever polished the rounded edges. 

Thank you again Steven Mairs.


Then we went to Giobal House Center and bought an air compressor for half the price of the one we looked at in our home of Mae Sai.   

Now, here is a trick that store and banks try to get away with in Thailand. 

I used a Chase Sapphire credit card that had the exchange rate of 32.36 THB per dollar which made the price of the compressor 2,790 /32.36=$86.22 USD. 

The cashier first gave me a slip for US Dollars converted. I said: "This is Thailand and I bought it in Thai Baht and I only want to pay in Thai Baht. It saved us $8.46 US on our total purchase as we bought a water and oil separator along with hoses and quick disconnect fittings. 

We tested it right in the store before we bought it. For a 3 HP compressor with a 51 liter tank, it was a great deal. 

It is the red one in the picture.


We are going to take it easy tonight and leave for home early in the morning.

Thank you Chiang Mai, for a nice trip.

April 27th, The sun is shining at 7:00 AM and we are on the way home. 

We made it to Charin Garden Resort and Bakery with just one stop for fuel.

We had a nice breakfast along with macadamia nut pie and strawberry cheesecake.

It is 80 degrees F. The river is very brown due to the jungle burning last month and the rain last night washing away dirt.

Only about 70 kilometers and we'll be home.

We did stop to buy pineapple for 20 THB a kilogram. That comes to about 60 cents US a pineapple.

Oh, did I mention we stopped for 7-11 coffee and to pee?  I didn't want to miss anything.

When we got home we put the black granite tops on the two night stands. They are are bitchen! Bitchen is Los Angeles, California - Valley talk for really nice.

We attached small, clear plastic buttons to keep the top from sliding around on the night stands.

We could not lift the desktop granite by ourselves so we will have to wait for another strong person to help us carry it up the stairs and set it.

April 29th, It is nice to have breakfast at the Ban Pa Mueat market.


It was also good to see "Me" made it home save from the visit to her family.

We said "goodbye, stopped to buy eggs and headed home to start getting the security doors ready to paint.

We need to wash all the dirt and oil off them, then mask off the parts we don't want to paint and then spray the first coat of the semi-gloss, oil based enamel.

We will do two openings of the four at a time so the laundry can stay open.

Daeng hired two girls to help her at 40 THB an hour each. 40 THB is about $1.25 US.

The girls were busy cleaning the metal security doors and gates to get them ready to spray paint.

Ti, Bum's Dad, came by and we carried the granite top upstairs, cleaned it, placed the plastic buttons on it and set it on top of my desk.

We are extremely happy with the granite tops on the desk and night tables. 

The girls showed me a place on one gate that needed repair so I used my blacksmithing skills and fixed it.

Needed some more cleaning solvent so went to gas station and bought 5 liter of E20. The gasoline and alcohol mixture makes a great cleaning solvent. It is about 30 cents US cheaper a liter than regular thinner, also.

Filled up Daeng's motorbike with pure, 95 octane gasoline, as well.

Tomorrow we will start masking off two sections of the glass and get ready to spray paint the two sections of the gates.

Daeng fixed me fish tacos for supper. Yep, fish tacos right here on the Burma border. They were great, also. 

I wonder why she is being so nice to me. Maybe she is horny? 

April 30th, The girls masked off both openings so I can start spraying the Walnut #2413 color, semi-gloss enamel tomorrow.  

It looks like they did a great job.

You can read all about that in the May posting to our blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment