Thursday, April 16, 2009

04-15-09 Songkran Day Three

Well, I made it thru the three official days of Songkran without hurting myself or anyone else. I say "Official" as there will be another 4 days of water throwing. It takes a while to slow this national party down. The total celebration usually last for 7 to 10 days each year.
In the high tourist areas, like Pattaya and Puckett, the party will run two to three weeks.
It has been a little quieter this year, I'm told, due to the RED SHIRT (UDD) demonstrations in the major cities thru out Thailand.
In talking with other people, I fear that Thailand will loose about a third of their tourist trade over these demonstrations this year.

Bloomberg.com quotes: "Tourism and other businesses will be hurt by the political upheaval...." I heard estimates ranging between 33 % and 50 % reduction in tourist trade.
I must, in the defense of Thailand, say that the media does tend to over play what is happening. As an example, while I was waiting for my plane at Los Angeles airport (LAX) in 2006, the news story broke on television of the coup. The media showed tanks rolling and soldiers with guns.
When I arrived in Thailand about 22 hours later all it was was four (4) tanks had pulled up to the palace and some soldiers were making sure the kids playing on the tanks didn't get hurt.
Now, the third official day of Songkran is a day for visiting the Temple and asking to be guided thru the New Year. I did visit a large Temple up the road.
Many folks where using machines that looked like slot machines to have their fortunes told.


The part I like of the holidays is the kids.
They really get into the spirit of water.


They will wait patiently for someone to come by and then throw a little water on them.
Now that is some hang time for that small pail of water.

The part I still can't get used to seeing is pails of water being thrown on folks driving motorbikes.

Yesterday, I saw a man from Myanmar (Burma) that was all cut up and bruised because he was knocked off his motorcycle by someone throwing a pail of water on him and his wife.


Tell me this isn't dangerous!


Daeng is still selling her Som-tom Papaya Salad and I'm still hiding out to stay dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment