Monday, May 17, 2010

Mae Sai 05-17 Falling Tile & Chicken Heads

I slept great last night, the best in a month, and let me tell you why. The night before we woke up with this large crashing noise. We thought it was just a loud lighting strike as it was raining. We went back to sleep.

In the morning, when the tile men came, they ask us if we had pulled the top row of wall tile off the walls as it had fallen off. We told them no but we did hear the loud noise in the night.

We'll they thought it was us that did it so they said they did not want to work here any more. I said great, good-bye and have a nice life. I was even happy about it as they have done such poor work along the
way.
Salad, the head man, called and said he was coming to pick up everything. We said we would pile his concrete forms and tools outside so he needed to come do it right now as we were leaving for church. Hlong, Daeng's sister-in-law stayed behind as she speaks Burmese. Also, she is very strong willed and won't let him get away with anything, else.

We can hire someone to correct their work or I'll just do it myself. We can put up with most of their mistakes. We can live with tile upside down in the pattern of the back splash of kitchen, the small puddle area on the counter and the random groat lines.

As I was working along,I even fou nd myself singing. I feel better about this re-model project now than I have from the start.
We bought almost all the pipe and fittings to do the gray water drainage system to the outside of both shop houses. It is all PVC as ABS is not available in Thailand. The size ranges from 1 1/2" to 6" pipe inside, at the rear and then will be 8" outside the building, running to the street drain.

There are a few fitting that I would like to make the job easier, 1/8 bend hub-spicket (street) ells and flush reducing bushings but "This is Thailand".

By the way, the cost of all the fittings in the picture is about 2700 THB (less than $85 USD)

I laugh at all the folks that look at our project as they are used to doing open trench draining. Then they wonder why they have bad odors and mesquites. It is bad enough they don't vent the plumbing drains but open trenching gets really nasty.

Kit, Daeng nephew, helped me get all the pipe installed in back of the center shop house and into our corner shop house. I am real pleased with it so far.
I also eat something else I never thought about eating, chicken head. Yes, the girls were all sitting around eating chicken feet and chicken heads so I thought I would belly up to the table and eat one.

They are very easy to eat as you just chew it all up, brains, eyes, red part, everything. Guess what, it "tastes just like chicken".
Our plan is to just work along and do what is needed to correct the Burma tile men's work and get the storm/gray water drains hooked up. If we have to stay an extra week or two more in Thailand, that's okay, too.

This in one case that I am happy to say if it could not be my way it was the highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment