Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Our New Shop House 04/06/2010

We put all the cleaning stuff in a five gallon pail and got to our new home around 9:00 AM. We opened the place and hooked up a hose to wash down the front of the first floor.

About that time Daeng's niece and nephew, Newie and Kit, arrived. they both jumped right in and helped Daeng clean the window and window shutters.

I hosed down the security doors and glass and then used newspaper to got most of the really heavy dirt off the glass.
I could see the water meter turning so I went on the what's leaking investigation. Several thing were leaking, two hose valves and the toilet on the third floor.

Daeng ran out and picked up lunch for the four of us. After we ate I jumped on the motorbike and went to Home Mart and bought new valves and parts to repair the toilet. Home Mart only had a kit for the toilet and I did not like the looks of it but that's all they had.

I bought a new toilet seat for the toilet I was woking on. My feeling about toilet seat is the same as tooth brushes. If you move into a house and find a tooth brush that was left there would you use it? Enough said!

I came back and Kit helped me do all the work. When we finished I realized that the float ball rod was to long so I had to go to Home Mart and buy a hack saw. I came back and put everything together, turned the water on to find the float valve was defective and spraying water up onto the tank lid.

Now I know what home owners, that fix stuff, have to go through. this will make the third trip to Home Mart. When we do this in we have all the part on the truck and carry good stuff so we don't have to do it twice.

Now, Daeng knows that in Thailand the stores do not want to take things back even if they are defective. As I jumped onto the motorbike she said she was going with me. When we got to Home Mart, they did not want to exchange the part We again explained I bought it today and it is defective. then the lady said it was part of a whole kit and I need to bring back the whole kit.

I walked over to the shelf and picked up a new kit, opened it and took out a new float valve and put the one that was bad back in the kit. I handed it to her and told her that this was a defective part. I asked her if she needed to do any paperwork as we were leaving.

She went into the office and came back out saying that if the new one I took doesn't work don't bring it back. As we walked out Daeng noted that this is not America and things are different here. I again explained that if someone sell me something that is defective and won't make good on it they are a thief!

We went back home, there I said it "HOME". I put the new float valve back in the toilet and guess what? You got it, this one was defective, also. The good part is I could adjust this one so it will work okay. I told Daeng we would bring some "Fluid Master 400A float valves back with us next trip.

After working all day we are beat so it's back to the guest house for showers and a good night sleep.

Back to getting the place ready to move into tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment